Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Knoc Knock

- Knock Knock
- Who's There?


- Apparently not the blog!

Busyness abounds as do excuses for the absence that I will try not to go on and on about. I'd hoped to share pictures, but at the moment it's not working. I've tried twice and it's a no go.

Pre-school is going SO WELL for Katie. We all love it. She gets excited in the morning if it's a school day, runs into the room and disappears almost before I can say goodbye. Brings home lovely crafts every day (of the two per week she attends). Sam and I are filling the time well. Semi-regular playdates, some walks and playground visits, sometimes the library or even a swim with Gram Mary. I'm really enjoying the one on one time with her.

The downer news of late, is that I've not been running. A nagging pain that I've had for a year or so finally caused me to see a podiatrist (recommended by our family doctor) and though x-rays show no break or crack in my foot (the pain's under the ball of my foot under the big toe) we suspect a bit of inflammation. Along with the diagnosis came an order to stop running for a month. Which is actually up already in the first week of November (that's how absent I've been!). I'm not sure what will happen then...honestly I don't feel like the pain is getting any better as far as general use. Here's hoping it does get better. I miss running and my running friends and the busy structure of my strollercize class. Not to mention I sort of feel squishier already. Ugh. Probably partly just cool weather hibernating feeling, since it is deep October already.

I'm also taking a writing class...Introduction to Creative Writing. 8 weeks, one night a week. With my lovely friend Stephanie. It's going well so far...the intimidation of sharing writing has been replaced with the excitement of hearing how to improve my writing so I'm really enjoying it. It's not for credit, just for fun. Here's hoping you don't expect some kind of improvement in writing here! (I hope the blog's always been an enjoyable read!)

What else...Cooking lots, baking a little, Sewing...some...thinking about it more! Battling a little sore throat and cough.

Sam has grown immensely in the last while. we went for the BEST nature walk in the ravine with our friends Meg and D and M (happy almost 2nd Bday M!) and Sam said repeatedly "I see water!". Now she sees lots and tells us lots too. It's so much fun having 2 little communicating kids in this house. She has developed a sense of imagination now too...will feed us pretend food just like Katie does. This gets her and Katie playing together for longer stretches...sometimes with arguments, but sometimes they work something out and keep playing.

Katie's colouring is awesome, though I rarely let her do it (I'm so mean) because almost every time I have to stop supervising and it ends up on her somewhere (body, clothes). I feel awful withholding fun crafty stuff, but I have had it up to "here". And probably not for the last time. I did let her draw up a birthday card for our friends G and C (now 4!!) and I wrote out Happy Birthday for her and she was able to copy out all the letters. A little wonky looking, but legible. Then she insisted in colouring them all in, (and they weren't block letters, just lines..she added extra lines to give her spaces to fill) and I doubt it was even recognizable as Happy Birthday. Funny girl.

The girls had their first sleepover at a grandparents (Gram and Grandpa) house just this past weekend. We then had the girls transferred the next morning to Gram and Papa's and didn't show up until dinner time. 24 hours on our own. Seems silly, but it was such a nice little break. We had diner and a movie with friends Steph and Russ and then brunch out the next morning. We made heavy use of gift cards, including a Starbucks card with 40$ on it! (whoever gave us that, thank you! It got lost in our gift card storage area...here's hoping we didn't buy it as a gift for someone else and forgot...wouldn't that be silly!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Ooo...while I was taken away from the blog to put the girls to bed (and sleep as it's now the next morning) the pictures are working! Here's a few with short descriptions.

D and Katie at a playground. The weather was exceptional one Saturday evening, so we called our friends and went to the playground...not our usual play date time, but it turned into an incredible warm, fun, memorable evening. M and Sam.
D and Katie. I've been talking all month about how this may be one of my favorite photos ever, but now that I've seen it on the big computer screen, I realize it's a bit fuzzy. I'm disappointed, but I suppose you can still see how much fun the kids were having. (I have discussed it with Megan, this could be their engagement photo...D has officially asked to marry Katie and she accepted.) (it was so cute!)
After an awful September weather-wise, October has turned out to be super lovely. Before we had a few windy days the leaves were spectacular. Here's Sam playing outside after strollercize one day.
And here she is again. See that happy smirky look? We had put out the high chair since we were having company (she uses a booster seat now) and while I wasn't looking, she climbed right up and over the tray and slipped inside. I think she was quite proud. I was a little scared realizing the extent of her climbing skills.
More photos next time. Soon. Promise. I'll set an alarm reminder on my phone. OK?

No comments: