Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sledding and Other Things.

I've just realize I haven't shown you any of the pictures fro our fun day of sledding a couple of weeks ago.

The weather was nice and warm and it was very very sunny! We all did snow angels:

Sam did NOT like it. Katie enjoyed being outside.
So did Sam. (She's swimming in this snowsuit...it's about 18 months and huge on her! But this far in to winter, we're not too keen on buying a new one for her.)
The three girls.
Katie on the sled...she went down the tiny hills all by herself too..."Again!" she said. (notice she's holding on the the handles? Those are actually brakes.) =)Sam had her first sled ride too. We had just gone over to our nearby park/dry pond, and after the sledding, we had some time to check out the playground before going home. Funny how the snow on the ground makes Ben (already tall!) tower over the little swings. Katie asked to go in the little swings, but it may be time to stop and insist on big swings only...she almost got stuck! Both girls had fun in the swings!Last week I made my very first batch of No-Knead Bread. I've been meaning to make some for over a year but never got around to it until I "borrowed" some bread flour from Gram. It was SO easy and SO amazingly delicious. Even if you don't "do" kitchen stuff, you could make this.
I knit some socks recently for Katie. I think they're cute, but I'm not so sure that she does.
I've been meaning to share this picture for weeks! Katie drew this with marker in about the second week of January...I added bits according to her directions but her original drawings include the two distinct faces...see the small pink one on the left? And the big one on the right? She did the big face circle, the two little eyes and the smile. I added the hair as directed. I was SO impressed...this is the most real thing she's ever drawn. I just now wish that I had better artistic talent to model for her...I don't know if she'll ever be a great artist by drawing as I do. =)
And...on to now!

It's been an interesting few days.

Yesterday we had Sam's 1 yr Dr's appointment. The appt went well and all appears good on the health front...she's down a bit in weight percentiles (I assume from all the standing/walking etc) but I don't think we need to be concerned. We'll get her weighed agian in a couple of months to check. Sam weighs 20 pounds 12 ounces according to the Dr and 21 pounds 6 ounces according to the Health Clinic where we get her immunization shots. We did the shots today, all 4 of them (3 plus her second seasonal flu shot...didn't quite get around to getting her seasonal flu booster in November like I should have.) Now we know for sure she's big enough that we can turn her car seat around to face forward...we just have to make time to do it. Hmmm..I suppose I could be doing that now, but I'd rather be talking to you. =) We've also agreed to try giving her Prevacid only once a day, instead of twice (for her acid reflux). AND...yesterday we gave her cow's milk for the first time! So excited to start introducing dairy (and the other last forbidden foods...eggs, peanut butter etc). I love nursing her but it takes a lot of time, especially with a toddler around...I'm excited to start the weaning process over the next month or so.

The interesting thing about going to see the Dr actually had to do with Katie. Long story short(ish) we had a major toddler meltdown on our way out. Not so much verbal...no yelling or anything. She decided she didn't want to leave and laid down on the floor in the hallway and refused to get up. I had not brought in a stroller for Sam but instead carried her in my arm, so I only had one arm to try and pick Katie up. She did the floppy thing...so you know what this is? She makes her body relax like jello. So it was like trying to pick up a potato sack with about 40 pounds worth of jello in it...with one arm while trying not to tip over a 20 pound full jar of water in the other arm (in that I was trying to keep Sam upright). Impossible! I tried to wait it out...occasionally appealing to Katie...offering stairs down instead of the elevator in case that was the problem...but no luck. I'll admit I semi-panicked and didn't know what to do at all. Didn't have the patience or energy (after a 5 am wake-up with Sam that morning) to try and get Katie to laugh or distract her way out. Deadlocked, I called Papa, who was luckily available and arrived like a hero, picking up that big sack of Katie Jello and carrying her all the way to the van. Katie cried. I was embarased and relieved and tired.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen again, or by that by the time it does I've decided on a strategy to deal with it. I will definitely be using my stroller for Sam for the next while, even on quick run-ins, just in case.

Sam took more steps today and did LOTS of standing on her own today. Improving by leaps and bounds daily...she'll be running before you know it.

Exciting times in our house!

No comments: