Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Little Funny Things

I just hit publish on the previous blog post that I had started writing on Sunday but have to start another before I forget a few small things.

Sam has said for a while now that green means stop and red means go.  As in traffic lights.  And wrong, of course, so we try to correct her whenever she says it.  Yesterday, she and I were successfully finishing a school time shopping and Costco trip and were driving home to put groceries away before picking up Katie, and she said it again "Red means Go!!"...just as I was starting my left turn on a green arrow light, where the rest of the lights in our direction had just turned red.  It all makes sense now...using her kid perspective, we do often go when lights turn red.  Interesting how wrong can be right.

Katie said tonight, as we were reading books before tuck in..."I love B-O-O-Ks"...Aw...so sweet and JUST what a mom wants to hear.  She's also been telling me lots lately "I can spell Snack, Apple, Mom, Dad, Katie and Sam"...and then proceeds to spell them all.  I keep trying to gently make her read more of our easy books but she just gets mad and wants me to do more of the reading.  Which I do...don't want to ruin a good thing.

The girls and I were goofing around this evening before getting ready for bed (Ben had had a long day and a bit of a headache so i let me off early)  :) .  One thing we started doing was little races on the floor in our bedroom...snake races.  That Katie is seriously fast as a snake and she beat me every time.  The funniest thing was that as I watched her go by me, she was totally slithering and doing her army crawl that she did back when she learned to crawl in her own way.  Exactly the same.

Tonight we tried Mustard Asparagus Chicken for dinner...a recipe from my Alberta Chicken Growers cookbook...there are some real winners in there!...in the spirit of our new "Try it Tuesdays".  Partly to infuse a little fun into meal planning (I love trying new meals, but realize it is practical to stick with standards more often...for sanity and grocery shopping) and to help the girls branch out their eating.  Just a more formal, thematic way of saying You Must Eat (more than one bite of) This without just being a big meanie.  I should mention this is our first week...we'll see if we manage to keep it up.  Tonights meal was excellent, Sam ate quite a bit of it we don't even have leftovers.  (the recipe feeds 4...2 kid portions cancels out the marathon training dad portion, right?)(ok, you got me, I had a second helping too)

This morning, it wasn't a school day and we had no other plans, and I managed to ignore a bit of laundry (so hard to do!) and decided to take the girls to the museum.  We've been a few times before but usually on a playdate and without Katie if she was at school.  It was so nice to go just the three of us.  More freedom to go where we wanted when we wanted.  We managed to catch both story time AND craft time an hour later ( the girls made moose antlers by tracing their hands and glueing them to a headband).  The girls love the animal dioramas and live fish and even spent quite a bit of time in the aboriginal gallery today.  Really a wonderful time.

Anyway...I'm tired from such a busy day and need to to some reading or something.  (Hunger Games or finish up the Biography of Cancer...not sure which...)  Hope you have a good night and rest of the week.

No comments: